About the Chesapeake Stormwater Network:CSN is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote implementation of effective stormwater practices to restore the streams and estuaries of the Chesapeake Bay. Over the last ten years, CSN has worked to develop more effective stormwater regulations, design specifications, technical tools and a network of more than 9,500 stormwater professionals across the Bay. CSN also provides free stormwater training in the Chesapeake Bay and has delivered more than 135,000 person-hours of training to more than 14,000 stormwater professionals via more than 170 webcasts, design workshops and online training modules. CSN serves as the stormwater technical coordinator for the Chesapeake Bay Program partnership. Our offices are located in historic Ellicott City, MD, which will recover soon.
The Chesapeake Stormwater Network actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Duties:The ideal candidate will be responsible for performing the following CSN functions:
• Keep up with the latest stormwater research and identify the most innovative and effective practices that keep urban pollutants from reaching the Chesapeake Bay.
• Help plan and execute on-site workshops, forums and Bay-wide stormwater retreats to engage stormwater practitioners in the restoration of the Chesapeake Bay. The ideal candidate will be effective in working with host organizations to make these training events happen smoothly.
• Maintain our cool website (www.chesapeake stormwater.net) as the key resource for Bay stormwater geeks and attract more eyeballs to it using social media and other things I really don’t understand.
• Manage CSN’s webcast series to train stormwater practitioners on effective ways to restore the Bay (advertising to our network, dealing with speakers on their presentations, creating the master webcast presentations, serving as webcast host and ensuring webcasts and resources are archived on our website).
• Maintain and grow our network of 9,500 stormwater professionals through monthly e-mails to keep them abreast of the latest stormwater developments in the Bay watershed via e-mails, surveys and contests like the Best Urban BMP in the Bay Award (BUBBAs).
• Work, with others, to support monthly meetings of the Urban Stormwater Workgroup, which is the body that makes stormwater policy decisions for the Chesapeake Bay partnership.
Some of these functions might be performed by CSN support staff and/or technical service consultants under the direct supervision of the stormwater coordinator.
Key Skills:The ideal candidate will have:
• A keen interest in urban stormwater and how restoration practices can help restore the water quality in headwater streams and the Chesapeake Bay.
• Good communication and speaking skills and be comfortable interacting directly with people at workshops and webcasts.
• Be able to work independently, sometimes remotely and be highly organized and productive.
Required Qualifications:The ideal candidate will have:
• A B.S. degree in natural resources, environmental sciences, hydrology or related field, and at least two years of experience working on stormwater issues in the Bay watershed. M.S. degree in a related field a plus.
• Evidence of strong written and electronic communication skills, including the ability to use a variety of social media to reach diverse audiences.
• The employee must be willing to travel overnight in the Chesapeake Bay watershed to participate in stormwater training events.
Salary & Benefits:Base salary ranges from $45,000 to $60,000/year depending on skills, experience and education. CSN also offers a generous benefits package, including health and dental and life insurance and retirement contributions.
All candidates must apply by e-mail only to email@example.com. Your application packet must include a cover letter, resume and three professional references, including their name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
For best consideration, applications will be accepted through December 15, 2016. Open until filled.