PennFuture is leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We are protecting our air, water and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
Job Description: Southeast PA Outreach Coordinator (Philadelphia, PA)
The Outreach Coordinator is the public face of the organization in southeast Pennsylvania. He or she is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with PennFuture constituents, including coalition partners, and representing PennFuture’s positions to the general public. The Outreach Coordinator educates PennFuture members, the environmental advocacy community, and decision makers about environmental issues with an emphasis on climate, the Delaware River watershed, green infrastructure, sustainability, and energy-related policies. The Outreach Coordinator works with a team of professionals including attorneys, policy experts, media professionals, and other outreach staff.
• Manage regional advocacy campaigns to advance PennFuture’s climate, watershed, and sustainability work, and assist with other initiatives;
• Implement a grassroots advocacy strategy for climate, energy, and water campaigns and mobilize citizen advocates in key state and federal legislative districts;
• Leverage PennFuture’s outreach, policy, communications/media, and legal staff and expertise to support implementation of cohesive, integrated campaigns;
• Work with other environmental advocacy organizations to organize and facilitate meetings and events – occasional evening and weekend hours;
• Increase the number of grassroots, grasstops, and partners willing to participate in campaigns; recruit and manage members, supporters and volunteers;
• Craft campaign e-mails, action alerts, website content, blog and social media posts; draft, edit, and submit letters to the editor and other opinion pieces;
• Build support for local, state, and federal legislative priorities; occasional lobbying of public officials and government agencies;
• Field and respond to requests for assistance on behalf of the law staff as well as general inquiries;
• Conduct reporter interviews by phone and in person, speak at press conferences and other media events;
• Assist with grant writing, editing and reporting;
• Community outreach, event tabling, public speaking; perform other project and administrative duties, including member data entry, as directed.
Proven success in campaign development, implementation, and leadership.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Excellent social media skills.
Enthusiasm for PennFuture, its mission, and its brand.
Detail oriented and highly organized.
Familiarity with non-profit organizations is preferred though not required.
Education and experience:
3-5+ years in outreach, advocacy, campaigns, or organizing.
Deep understanding of environmental, energy, and conservation policies, issues, and science.
Understanding of regional environmental and conservation landscape.
Strong leadership skills and ability to work with staff on site and remotely.
Experience with political campaigns a plus.
Experience with Salsa Engage (an online advocacy tool) is a plus.
Location, Compensation, and Timeline:
The position is based in Philadelphia. Competitive salary based on experience. Generous benefits package includes health care, dental, life insurance and paid time off.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to the Director of Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Southeast PA Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. The application deadline is August 25, 2017.