MONTGOMERY COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION, P.O. BOX 311, NORRISTOWN, PA 19404-0311
The Montgomery County Planning Commission (MCPC) is located in a diverse and historic suburban community of over 820,000 people located directly northwest of Philadelphia. We are an award-winning agency with a well-earned reputation as an innovator of cutting edge planning concepts and strategies. Our mission is to provide professional planning services that provide effective solutions to community challenges. We are looking for an outgoing, technically proficient, and highly motivated individual to join our dynamic team of professional planners.
POSITION TITLE: SECTION CHIEF – TRAILS/OPEN SPACE
DEPARTMENT: PLANNING COMMISSION
POSITION REPORTING: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
SUMMARY: This position reports to the director of the planning commission, and is responsible for managing a team of three professional planners with the mission to develop the county’s trail system, conserve open space, and plan for the health of our natural environment. This team provides trail development and open space acquisition services for various county departments and supports county projects through construction. The position requires a skilled project manager, who can manage the work flow of the section’s staff, projects, and consultants, while also building relationships with municipalities, non-profit organizations, Open Space Board members, and others to fulfill the mission of the section. The ideal candidate has a background in land conservation and trail or park development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES shall include the following:
• Manage all aspects of county trail development including feasibility, design, permitting, and construction
• Manage and lead policy development for open space conservation in the county
• Lead the Open Space and Parks Expansion Program, which includes open space property acquisition and/or conservation and provision of public access to parks and open spaces
• Set agendas and coordinate activities of the Montgomery County Open Space Board to assist in fulfilling their mission for the county
• Manage all activities of the Open Space and Trails section, ensuring that all work is completed on time and meets high quality standards
• Communicate and work with various elected officials, local community leaders, business people, and the general public
• Attend and present at public meetings, day or evening
• Seek partnerships for funding, including writing trail and open space grant applications
• Duties as assigned
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential and specific duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Master’s Degree in Planning, Real Estate, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, Public Administration, Geography, or related degree
• Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in professional planning, land conservation, project management, landscape architecture, or related experience
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary for the position
• Have technical knowledge in conservation easements, property acquisition, trail construction and design, and feasibility analysis for trail development
• Excellent communications skills and public speaking ability
• Excellent managerial, supervisory and administrative skills
• Excellent analytical, organizational, logical thinking and problem-solving abilities
• Knowledge of state-of-the-art software such as, but not limited to, Geographic Information Systems and design rendering software, like SketchUp, VectorWorks, and Adobe Creative Suite
• Knowledge of essential professional office computer software
• Valid driver’s license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, kneel, crouch, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TO APPLY ONLINE: Go to http://www.montcopa.org/151/How-to-Apply; fill out the application form under the job posting.