Period: June – September, 2018
Saunders Woods Preserve is a 25-acre natural oasis for wildlife and community residents in the heart of the Main Line. The Bridlewild Trail passes through the preserve and connects to a wider system of paths that wind through the community. It is a part of a network of nature preserves owned and managed by Natural Lands Trust in the greater Philadelphia area. The preserve is both a showcase of responsible management practices for natural areas and a place where the public can connect with the natural world. A walk here reveals a lively forest habitat as well as an open meadow that is home to a variety of bird species. Educational and service programs are held throughout the year at the historic 1800s barn on the Preserve. For more information about Saunders Woods Preserve and Natural Lands, visit www.natlands.org.
The Stewardship Assistant will work with the preserve manager to implement land stewardship techniques to further enhance the ecologic value of the Preserve. In this position, the Stewardship Assistant will gain experience in ecologic restoration techniques, become familiar with local flora and fauna, and have the opportunity to learn about the workings of a land trust. This is a hands-on position with training provided. He or She will assist the Preserve Manager to remove invasive plants, mow lawns and trails, maintain native plant gardens, and to restore natural areas. Tools used in the course of the work include: power string trimmers, brush cutters, hand pruners and saws, lawnmower, truck and tractor.
At a minimum, candidates must meet the following requirements:
• Strong affinity for the environment and outdoor activities
• First Aid and CPR and lifeguard training is a plus
• Able to work at least 30 hours per week.
• Maintain a valid driver’s license
• Must be able to walk, stand, bend and squat on uneven terrain; must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds and push up to 50 pounds
• Must be prepared to work outdoors under all conditions, including heat, cold, and with occasional exposure to poison ivy, biting and stinging insects, etc.
Compensation: $10 an hour
Visit the Jobs Section of our website and complete the online application process.
Click here to access the page: https://natlands.org/everything-else/job-opportunities/
Please address all correspondence to: Jeni Albany, Director of Human Resources