Natural Lands Trust is a non-profit land conservation organization working to proactively protect significant open space in the greater Philadelphia metropolitan region. NLT owns and manages more than 20,000 acres of open space on 42 preserves. The 1,263-acre ChesLen Preserve—one of the largest private nature preserves in southeastern Pennsylvania—features sweeping agricultural fields, densely wooded stream corridors, and rare serpentine barrens. For more information about Natural Lands Trust and ChesLen Preserve, see our web site at: www.natlands.org.
The Seasonal Stewardship Assistant, ChesLen 2017 will run for approximately 12 weeks in late spring/summer 2017. The position is responsible for assisting the Preserve Manager and Building Stewardship staff. Duties will include land management and maintenance of equipment, roads, and structures. This will include operation of power equipment, such as tractors, weed whips, and lawn mowers. The Seasonal Stewardship Assistant will be required to physically perform, as needed, any and all tasks necessary for the maintenance of any Trust Preserve and to occasionally work weekends, evenings, and holidays as requested to fulfill his or her responsibilities. The primary Preserve served by this position is ChesLen Preserve in Coatesville, PA.
The Seasonal Stewardship Assistant will report to the ChesLen Preserve Manager and Assistant Manager.
Examples of Required Work:
Work required of the Seasonal Stewardship Assistant includes, but is not limited to, the following:
1. Regular and consistent attendance;
2. Meadow/lawn mowing and trail/road maintenance with lawn and farm tractors;
3. Trimming around buildings and fences, as needed;
4. Maintenance and operation of equipment owned by NLT including farm tractors, commercial mowers, chainsaws, and other preserve maintenance equipment;
5. Assisting Building Stewardship crew in building repairs and renovations;
6. Restoration of degraded natural areas;
7. Assistance with research projects;
8. Adherence to NLT’s stringent safety program and appropriate use of Personal Protective Equipment;
9. Assisting with preserve events and membership activities;
10. Trash collection within Preserves and along public roads;
11. Monitoring the land and structures for unwarranted use and vandalism;
12. Posting of Preserve boundaries and trail signage;
• Highly motivated, responsible, reliable and dependable;
• Capable of performing a wide variety of physically demanding tasks;
• Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record;
• Customer service attitude and be comfortable working with the general public;
• Flexibility when dealing with changes in work plans;
• Carry out tasks in a professional manner;
• Adequate skills and a familiarity of the safe operation and care of basic hand and power tools.
• Willingness to perform subordinate tasks such as clean-up
The Stewardship Assistant will be required to perform a wide array of physically demanding tasks, necessary for the maintenance of the various preserves and to work on occasional special dates as requested to assist with events. Regular and consistent attendance is required. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license in good standing.
To apply, please send your resume and letter of interest to:
Jeni Albany, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
Natural Lands Trust Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All decisions with respect to hiring are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, or disability. Decisions are made solely upon the basis of qualifications as related to the requirements of the job.