The READY partnership (a nationally recognized green jobs program for teens and young adults in Howard County, MD) seeks an experienced and competent project assistant with the expectation that they will grow into the role of project lead in the near future. As Program Assistant, this individual will be responsible for assisting in the coordination and management of all elements of the summer and year-round programs including; managing a large team with complicated logistics, training and developing young adults, developing and managing relationships with partners in the non-profit, business and governmental sectors, ensuring program success for employees, clients, and governmental agencies, and being a public leader working towards the larger goals of community education and the creation of green jobs.
This is a full-time position. As an employee of the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay, the READY Program Assistant will also work as a member of the Alliance staff to further the general goals of the organization.
READY Staff Management: Assist in the hiring and direct management of a 44 person team. Provide accountability for quality work completed in a timely fashion, oversee training, and support crew leaders in training and managing their crews.
External Relationships: build relationships with a wide variety of partners—businesses, non-profit clients, and schools. This includes:
- Work with governmental agencies to help implement their stormwater and educational outreach goals, coordinate logistics with agencies such as the Department of Public Works and Recreation and Parks, and find innovative approaches to stormwater management and green infrastructure maintenance.
- Work with project partners to support their regional initiatives in the environmental sector.
- Work with community members and volunteers that support the program.
- Recruit and manage relationships with clients where the raingardens and stormwater facilities are being built.
Quality Implementation: Work with governmental agencies, clients and employees to ensure high quality implementation of green infrastructure and keeping up with the required ongoing maintenance.
Financial Management: Assist in budgeting, forecasting, expense management, and cash flow for a budget of approximately $500,000.
Communications: Ensure READY achieves goals for marketing, publications, media, and brand management.
Hard Skills: Aptitude and willingness to learn hard skills of rain garden design, building, and maintenance, and ensuring quality control over time.
Preferable candidates will have:
- A passion for Chesapeake Watershed restoration
- Residence in, or the ability to transfer to Howard County, MD
- Bachelors degree plus 1 year of experience in stormwater management and/or work crew leadership or 5 years of stated experience.
- Ability to lead and manage staff
- Willingness to fundraise and write grants
- Ability to advance and develop programs
- Ability to develop and manage budgets
- Experience working with other nonprofit, government and business entities
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral including experience in group presentations
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work flow, and meet deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through skills
- Sufficient computer skills and comfort with technology