About us: PennFuture is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania. We are protecting our air, water and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
Job Description: Press Secretary – Green in 18 (Philadelphia, PA or Harrisburg, PA)
PennFuture’s “Green in 18” campaign will increase the visibility of environmental issues in the 2018 election. The Press Secretary will seek to highlight environmental issues in the press and to ensure that journalists are prepared to ask good questions of the candidates. The campaign will be fast-paced and fun, creative and exciting.
The key mission of the campaign will be to harness and highlight the significant public support that exists for these vital issues and to ensure that candidates for elected office can clearly see that support. The Press Secretary will manage the campaign’s messaging and provide communications support to the rest of the organization in consultation and collaboration with the Director of Communications. The Press Secretary will do a large amount of writing and communicating to the press, and should be quick witted in person and on paper.
• Report to the Green in 18 Campaign Manager;
• Coordinate and consult with PennFuture’s Communications Director;
• Engage with PennFuture’s senior leadership team, as needed;
• Shape and enforce the Green in 18 campaign message;
• Build relationships with political reporters statewide and engage with environmental reporters in consultation with the Director of Communications;
• Maintain keen awareness of the relevant media outlets and personalities;
• Write and place op-eds, blogs, emails, and press releases in coordination with PennFuture’s communication calendar and style guide;
• Speak on-the-record with the media;
• Train staff and volunteers on messaging and working with the press;
• Plan and execute large public rallies, candidate forums, and education events.
• 2-5 years of experience in political campaigns, advocacy organizations, or communications.
• Self-starter able to work remotely with minimal supervision.
• Excellent verbal communication skills and comfort with public speaking.
• Impeccable writing skills.
• Existing relationships with the Pennsylvania press corps.
• Enthusiasm for environmental protection.
• Driver License and access to a vehicle.
• Familiarity with non-profit organizations is preferred though not required.
• Experience with VAN/Salsa/EveryAction is a plus.
Location, Compensation, and Timeline: The position can be staffed in either Philadelphia or Harrisburg, PA. Competitive salary based on experience. Generous benefits package includes health care, dental, and reduced paid time off (not eligible for severance). The position is a full-time grant or contract funded position that is grant dependent.
Legal Disclosure. PennFuture is an equal opportunity employer and a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. All activities undertaken during the Green in 18 campaign must fully comply with all applicable state and federal laws for tax exempt organizations.
Submission: Please submit your cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to email@example.com. Please write “Green in 18 Campaign Manager” in the subject line. The application deadline is December 12, 2017.