PennFuture is leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We are protecting our air, water and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
Job Description: Northeast PA Outreach Coordinator (Wilkes-Barre)
The Outreach Coordinator educates PennFuture members, the environmental advocacy community, and decision makers about environmental and conservation issues with an emphasis on climate, water, and energy-related policies. He or she is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with PennFuture constituents, including coalition partners, and representing PennFuture’s positions to the general public. The Outreach Coordinator works with a team of professionals including attorneys, policy experts, media professionals and other outreach staff and is the public face of the organization in northeast Pennsylvania.
● Implement environmental issue campaigns by defining and managing objectives, recruiting coalition members, and coordinating meetings and events
● Work with other environmental advocacy organizations to organize and facilitate meetings and events – occasional evening and weekend hours
● Community outreach, event tabling, public speaking
● Recruit and manage members, supporters, and volunteers
● Manage and implement a range of grant deliverables and campaign activities
● Assist with grant writing, editing, and reporting
● Craft campaign e-mails, action alerts, blog and social media posts
● Draft, edit, and submit letters to the editor and other opinion pieces
● Build support for local, state, and federal legislative priorities
● Occasional lobbying of public officials and government agencies
● Draft and present testimony at public hearings pertaining to environmental issues
● Work with law staff to develop cases for litigation and respond to requests for assistance as well as general inquiries
● Conduct reporter interviews by phone and in person, speak at press conferences and other media events
● Steer our regional climate, water, clean-energy, and sustainability work and assist with other initiatives
● Perform office administrative duties, including member data entry, as directed
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Excellent social media skills.
Enthusiasm for PennFuture, its mission, and its brand.
Detail oriented and highly organized.
Familiarity with non-profit organizations is preferred though not required.
Education and experience:
3-5+ years in outreach, advocacy, or organizing.
Deep understanding of conservation, environmental, and energy issues.
Strong leadership skills and ability to work with staff on site and remotely.
Understanding of Pennsylvania’s environmental/conservation landscape.
Location, Compensation and Timeline:
The position is based in Wilkes-Barre. Competitive salary based on experience. Generous benefits package includes health care, dental, life insurance and paid time off.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to the Director of Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Northeast PA Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. The application deadline is September 26, 2016.