Upper Potomac Riverkeeper is in need of a spring through summer intern for a stream monitoring
project that will assess the stream flow differences in two streams to understand the impact of an industrial stormwater pond. Shale excavation practices are required to capture weather event runoff into stormwater ponds and discharged into streams with pollution limits. This project is designed to determine the functionality of a stormwater pond during spring and summer weather events. The data will be used to advocate changes in a State certified discharge permit.
The Upper Potomac Riverkeeper (UPRK) is the voice for the Potomac River from Harpers Ferry to Fairfax stone. UPRK is part of a regional and worldwide network of water protectors that use advocacy and environmental laws to stop illegal pollution and fight legally permitted discharges. UPRK uses scientific research and environmental data to support our work in protecting streams and rivers from the impacts of pollution.
What You Will Learn:
• How to use Onset HOBO U20 pressure sensor data loggers and software.
• How to design, implement, and analyze data for a short-term water monitoring project.
• How to correlate various data sources to achieve sound scientific analyses.
• How to use scientific data as a tool for advocacy.
• Much more – you will work closely with the Upper Potomac Riverkeeper and other staff at
What We Require:
• Knowledge of environmental issues as it relates to stream function and stormwater, and an understanding of scientific principles.
• Active driver’s license and a working vehicle.
• Highly organized, with an ability to prioritize project requirements.
• Located in the Western MD, Eastern Panhandle WV area.
Project is located inGerrardstown, WV. If this sounds interesting, we want to hear from you.
The position is a volunteer internship that begins May 1st and ends September 1st, 2017. This position will include some mileage reimbursement. You are expected to work at least 10 hours a week and possibly more based on weather events.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter to Brent Walls, Brent@potomacriverkeeper.org