Position OverviewServes as an intern by assisting the instructional staff at the Office of Environmental Literacy and Outdoor Education Center in implementing lessons, maintaining, developing and creating lesson materials used for Environmental and Outdoor Education program. Work involves assisting teachers in planning, implementing and evaluating instructional lessons and programs; participating in staff development activities and/or assisting in the preparation of instructional materials. Work is planned and implemented under the direction of the Coordinator of Environmental Literacy and Outdoor Education and the professional staff.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities(These examples are illustrative and not all inclusive):
1. Instructs and implements lessons as a part of the Environmental Literacy field experience.
2. Assists the Outdoor Education Teacher Specialist and Outdoor Educator with parent in-services.
3. Organizes the set up and break down of necessary equipment and materials needed for instructional programs and activities.
4. Assists in developing instructional materials and activities for use in the outdoor education program.
5. Directs and oversees dining hall meal procedures to assure proper meal atmosphere and behavior.
6. Assists parents and teachers with instructional activities and programs as assigned.
7. Maintains tree nursery and native plant gardens as a part of the environmental and outdoor education center.
8. Assists with aquaculture maintenance.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Supervision and Guidance ReceivedWorks under the general supervision of the Coordinator of Environmental Literacy and Outdoor Education. Works under the immediate direction and supervision of the Outdoor Educator and/or other professional staff member.
Qualification Requirements1. A BS/BA from an accredited college or university. Preference of course work and/or studies in environmental education, environmental management, outdoor education, elementary or secondary education, recreation or a related field.
2. Ability to work as a team member and show patience when working with students, teachers, administrators, fellow employees, parents, volunteers and the general public.
ApplicationsSend cover letter and resume to:
MDPARKER@AACPS.ORG or JMLechert@aacps.org
Coordinator of Environmental Literacy and Outdoor Education
AACPS Office of Environmental Literacy
Arlington Echo Outdoor Education Center
975 Indian Landing Road
Millersville, Maryland 21108