Riverbend Environmental Education Center is a non-profit organization established in 1974 and located on a 30 acre preserve in Gladwyne, Pennsylvania. Our mission is to teach environmental principles to children in Southeastern Pennsylvania through a direct connection with nature, inspiring respect for our natural world and action as aware, responsible and caring citizens.
General Job Functions
The Habitat Coordinator will report directly to the Executive Director and is currently offered at as seasonal, part-time position with the opportunity to grow into a permanent position with additional responsibilities. The Habitat Coordinator will work with key staff and manage interns and volunteers on general and ongoing habitat related maintenance and improvement projects, guided by our Master Site Plan and Integrated Pest Management strategies.
• Regularly walk the property to observe issues and problem areas
• Manage and implement IPM strategy to maintain habitat and control of invasive species
• Survey grounds, including parking lot, outdoor classroom, pavilion and trails to make sure all trash is picked up and paths are clear of nature debris for safety and aesthetics
• Ensure that firewood is adequately supplied
• Monitor the health and safety of trees, prune as needed
• Monitor stone walls and repair as needed
• Plant trees, shrubs, etc.
• Mulch trails
• Maintain AWBOA & other gardens
• Inspect deer fence
• Inspect ponds, clean out and fill with water as needed
• Check public access areas for wasps, etc. and poison ivy and spray as needed
• Special projects as approved
• Engage volunteers and interns in meaningful work experiences including special projects and ongoing habitat work as outlined above
• Maintain positive relationships with individuals, corporate groups and school groups, including Shipley Senior Interns
• Manage summer habitat interns
• Manage summer Teen Volunteer Program (Wednesdays)
• Cultivate relationships with local scout troops to engage Eagle Scouts in potential projects.
• Work to keep storage room, garden shed and Little Barn organized and clean
• Maintain and care for all tools and garden supplies
BA or BS in related field
Knowledge of land management practices and some experience with key habitat related tasks
Familiarity with native plants and integrated pest management strategies
Physically strong and able to work outdoors in all kinds of weather and on a hilly terrain
Current driver’s license
Ability to work independently and in groups
An outgoing leader who can comfortably supervise volunteers
Hours and Compensation
The position is somewhat flexible on hours worked (20-25 hours per week) and days. Must be available to manage interns and volunteers and some weekend work may apply. Riverbend is located in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. We are not accessible by public transportation.
Hourly rate is $15 to $20 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Laurie Bachman, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
1950 Spring Mill Road
Gladwyne, PA 19035