Supervisor: Executive Director
- Events Coordinator
- RCC Events Support Staff
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Willistown Conservation Trust (the Trust) is seeking a senior level candidate for the position of Director of the Rushton Conservation Center (DRCC) to assist the Trust in meeting its ambitious goals for the Rushton Conservation Center (RCC) in furtherance of the Trust’s mission. The RCC is a unique venue in the heart of the Rushton Woods Preserve and adjacent to Rushton Farm in Chester County, PA. The RCC provides a beautiful and functional public space for programs and events that promote and highlight the conservation initiatives of the Trust. With a timber-frame gathering room and full kitchen, the RCC hosts programs in a variety of formats, including lectures, workshops, retreats, and farm-to-table meals. It provides a central gathering space to support our conservation community, including the Trust’s Field Study Site partners, researchers and educators, mission-aligned organizations, and all other Trust constituents. The DRCC provides a key leadership role in implementing the Trust’s long term strategic plan for the RCC and the organization as a whole.
The DRCC has responsibility for:
1) Strategic Planning.The DRCC will implement the Trust’s long term strategic plan for the RCC in collaboration with the Executive Director and key staff and trustees. The strategic plan was designed to advance the long range vision of the Trust and to further the reputation of the RCC as a regional center for research, education and outreach with a particular emphasis in the areas of Bird Conservation, Agroecology, Habitat Restoration and Watershed Protection. The DRCC will work to assure that the goals of the RCC are reflected in the Trust’s Annual Operating and Long Range Plans.
2) Business Planning.The DRCC will develop an annual projection of estimated expenses and revenue for the RCC. This requires careful tracking of all expenses associated with programs and facility use, as well as research and analysis into appropriate revenue streams that are compatible with established policies for RCC use. For each calendar year, the DRCC will develop a detailed annual budget and a long term revenue projection.
3) Programming, Scheduling and Marketing.Working closely with all Trust departments, the DRCC will develop and oversee programming and marketing activities that are compatible with the Trust mission and vision for the RCC. The DRCC will work closely with Program Directors to coordinate the internal use of the RCC to highlight ongoing Trust programs within the Rushton Woods Preserve and beyond. The DRCC will oversee marketing to outside individuals, groups and organizations who wish to use the RCC to assure compatibility and that the programming and scheduling process runs smoothly.
4) Execution, Delivery and Support of RCC Events.The DRCC will direct and manage the delivery of RCC programs and events to include physical set-up and take-down, oversight of kitchen facility use, audio/visual assets and other functional equipment.
5) Overseeing Functionality and Maintenance of the RCC.The DRCC will coordinate with the Director of Stewardship to ensure that the interior and exterior spaces of the RCC are properly maintained to function as a venue to meet the needs of the Trust and our extended community of conservationists. The DRCC will coordinate with the Director of Rushton Farm and the Director of Watershed Protection to ensure that both offices and workspace within the RCC are maintained.
Education – Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with a focus on Business, Marketing, Communications, Hospitality and Event Planning (culinary events in particular) or other relevant area.
Professional Skills – The ideal candidate will have 5-7 years of experience, preferably with a familiarity of land trust work, with demonstrated success in the following areas:
- Management and Supervisory experience
- Developing strategic partnerships to advance the mission of an organization
- Developing effective programming and scheduling of programs and events
- Conceiving and developing communications and marketing plans
- Collaborating to cultivate private donors, foundations, and corporations
- Developing and implementing short and long term strategic plans
- Developing financial pro-forma and annual budgets
- Developing and executing facility maintenance plans
- Strong commitment to the Willistown Conservation Trust mission
- Willingness to “roll up sleeves” and work side by side with colleagues
- Ability to work with a wide range of people to broaden the Trust’s circle of support
- Excellent communication skills including strong writing and public speaking abilities
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills, thoroughness and attention to detail
- Ability to supervise all aspects of physical facility, including kitchen, systems, and technology
- Sense of humor
- Availability to work nights and weekends
- Familiarity with the Trust program area and constituency is a plus
Salary: This is a full-time senior management position. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Excellent benefits package including health, retirement, paid holidays, and vacation days.
The Trust is a non-smoking, dog-friendly organization.