TITLE: Director of Civic Engagement
REPORTS TO: Vice President and Chief of Staff
The Director of Civic Engagement is responsible for developing voter engagement, voting rights, and democracy agenda campaigns for PennFuture.
PennFuture is leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond.
We are protecting our air, water and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
PennFuture’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
PennFuture is seeking a Director of Civic Engagement who has strong experience in program management, nonpartisan voter registration, and a passion for voter access. This role will help develop a 2020 campaign of voter engagement and a voting rights and democracy agenda for
The Director will work with the organizing team, civic engagement staff, and community partners, as well as support PennFuture’s campaigns and coalitions for a strong program that drives individuals through the full cycle of civic engagement from voter registration to close the voter registration gap in communities of color, by registering and turning out to vote, to engaging civically and advocating for the rights of their community. We are looking for a creative, motivated leader who is goal-driven and detail-oriented.
In particular, the Director of Civic Engagement:
• Directly oversees PennFuture’s nonpartisan Civic Engagement program. The program includes major campaigns, such as 2020 voter registration efforts, as well as managing long-term power building through integrated voter engagement and key projects like the Advocates for Conservation and the Environment (ACE) Program.
• Manage a both full-time staff as well as campaign canvassers. The Director will be a manager of managers for key campaigns that will include large nonpartisan voter registration campaign teams of canvassers around the state. Conduct customized training programs for canvassers as well as the Civic Organizer team, as needed.
• Track and manage PennFuture’s nonpartisan voter registration projects. Ensure the program is executed with a high standard of quality control, professionalism, appropriate long-range perspective, and in compliance with all applicable laws, including conducting on-site compliance reviews, as necessary.
• Build out PennFuture’s existing volunteer engagement and ACE programs. In collaboration with the Vice President of Civic Engagement and Director of Outreach, develop follow-up communications and other tactics targeted at new registrants to engage them in PennFuture programs.
• Advise PennFuture’s efforts to advance civic organizing to advance PennFuture’s mission. Work with leadership to develop, implement and evaluate advocacy, coalition- building and organizing campaigns that advance voting rights and protect against voter suppression. Develop and test effective and new organizing and mobilizing strategies and tools to integrate voter registration into an organizing program focused on key constituencies who are disproportionately impacted by environmental issues. Work closely with the PennFuture communications team to develop online campaign tools and increase online engagement of communities of color with campaigns and programs.
• Act as a public face of PennFuture’s civic engagement activities. In collaboration with campaign staff, attend coalition meetings across Pennsylvania to build relationships, identify opportunities for engagement, and advance the goals of the program. Manage and maintain relationships with the Civic Engagement State Table and relevant funding partners.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of 3-5 years of experience working on voter registration, electoral, community organizing or labor organizing campaigns, including successful experience managing campaigns, focused on communities of color.
• Strong commitment to PennFuture’s mission.
• Experience in developing program plans and executing metrics-driven campaigns.
• Working knowledge of online database and field reporting systems, like VAN, or the ability to learn them.
• Must have experience managing a team of staff and/or volunteers. Preferred experience working with coalitions and developing partnerships to advance shared goals.
• Exceptional leadership, supervision, management and coaching skills including managing staff.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to juggle multiple tasks, solve problems and set priorities in a fast-paced, high-performance environment. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Bilingual preferred in English and Spanish, but not required.
• Strong understanding of individual motivation and how to engage people (mastery of core organizing and mobilizing skills).
• Working knowledge of compliance issues and regulations related to 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations.
• Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities of color participation in U.S. democracy.
• Flexibility, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and ability to bring creative ideas and a fresh perspective to an evolving civic engagement program. Familiarity with Pennsylvania’s democratic processes and in-state community preferred.
This position can be based out of PennFuture’s Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, or Mt.
This is a full-time, exempt, position. Competitive salary based on experience. Benefits package includes health care, dental, vision, paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays, and a 403(b)- retirement plan.
Ability to work evenings and travel in-state and nationally 10-30% of time total, depending on program. This position will often require non-traditional hours and will involve work on the weekends.
PennFuture is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a racially just, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from individuals underrepresented in the environmental community, including people of color, and persons with non-traditional work and educational experience. All who believe they meet the stated qualifications are invited to apply.