Potomac Riverkeeper Network (PRKN) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to stopping pollution and restoring clean water in the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers and their tributaries through community engagement and enforcement. Our office is located in Washington, DC, with field offices in Virginia and Maryland. PRKN has 1200 members and is growing rapidly. PRKN is recognized as “one of the best small nonprofits” by Catalogue for Philanthropy. For more information about our organization, please check our website at www.prknetwork.org.
We seek a detail-oriented, enthusiastic, self-starter to provide high-level support to our organization’s development and communications efforts. The Associate will work closely with the Vice-President of External Relations and the Communications Director in all facets of development to generate income from foundation grants, individual giving, and special events. The ideal candidate will be technologically proficient and have experience with Salesforce (CRM), WordPress and Microsoft Office Suite. Excellent communication skills are required. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and with a team is preferred. This is an excellent opportunity for a rising development star, or someone who wants to gain experience in all facets of development.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
DEVELOPMENT OPERATIONS & PLANNING:
• Proficient in database management (Salesforce) including accurate gift processing, acknowledgements, reports, and segmentation. Responsible for the entry and accuracy of donation data and donor records including deleting duplicate records, applying appropriate coding, etc. Audits data entry for errors or incorrect codes.
• Lead the operations and planning aspects of the following fundraising activities: appeals, list segmentation, member mailings and member communications.
• Work closely with Finance to ensure accuracy of gift/donation records and deposits.
• Manage online giving portal and event registration pages (Greater Giving).
• Coordinate planning and implementation of membership mailings and online campaigns and supporting vendor relationships.
• Maintain participation in workplace giving campaigns (EarthShare & CFC).
Support all Development related events and other fundraising activities related to direct response, major donors, and corporate and foundation supporters with an emphasis on current and prospective members.
• Support preparation for fundraising events including annual Gala and RiverPalooza events and carry out smaller events as needed.
• Assist in sponsor prospect research and developing sponsor packages to raise funds.
• Assist in management of volunteer and host committees and event elements.
• Create and manage foundation submission and reporting schedule.
• Research grant opportunities that fit funding priorities.
• Assist with proposal drafting to assure proper submission.
COMMUNICATIONS & MEMBERSHIP
• Help grow and strengthen membership.
• Coordinate direct mail appeals, annual appeals, newsletters, e-blast production.
• Assist with social media (Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), image library.
• Manage content updates on Website.
• Minimum one to three years experience in grant writing, donor relations and donor/member outreach in a non-profit setting. Experience with development operations, outreach and marketing, events, social media, and reporting preferred.
• Demonstrated success in working as a member of a team and developing effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, the general public and donors.
• Experience in planning and executing successful fundraising and special events
• Extensive computer skills including intermediate or higher level proficiency with Microsoft Office, WordPress, Vertical Response, InDesign (Adobe) and Salesforce.
• Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written for online and traditional venues.
PRKN provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender or gender identity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, Potomac Riverkeeper Network complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary plus benefits $38,000-$43,000 commensurate with experience with opportunity for increase based on performance.
Send cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com.