GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: Conservation Coordinator
French Creek Valley Conservancy is hiring a Conservation Coordinator who will be responsible for stewardship, supporting land protection projects, outreach activities, and organizational support, as described below. This full-time position is located in Meadville, Pennsylvania (with travel throughout the French Creek Watershed).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES This employee reports to the Executive Director and must be able to work independently, as well as part of a small, enthusiastic team.
• Ensure compliance with conservation easements, deed restrictions, baseline documentation reports, and management plans for each of FCVC’s protected property;
• In collaboration with the Land Protection Specialist, documentation of FCVC’s conservation easements and fee-owned conservation properties and possibly coordinate and conduct annual field monitoring;
• Alert Executive Director and Land Protection Specialist to any potential or real violations or management issues; work to correct encroachments.
• Work with Executive Director and Land Protection Specialist to address landowner questions;
• Perform or coordinate property maintenance, brush clearing, sign installation, and other property management tasks as needed;
• Maintain GIS related data for FCVC’s properties, and produce maps using ArcGIS; and
• Maintain stewardship related files in accordance with FCVC’s Records practices and Land Trust Alliance standards and practices.
• Provide support to the Land Protection Specialist for creating new Baseline Documentation Reports; new management plans, and updating existing management plans; and
• Participate in field evaluations for potential new land conservation projects.
• Assist with implementing community outreach programs, including educational presentations to landowners, organizations, and/or the general public; and
• Connecting people to the natural environment and land conservation through informative and fun outdoor programs and volunteer opportunities.
• Assist with the development of website information, posts to social media, and the creation of community education and outreach materials (newsletters, brochures, etc.).
• Assist with organizational recordkeeping;
• Participate in regular staff meetings;
• Participate in periodic Board and Committee meetings, as needed; and
• Maintain understanding and implementation of FCVC’s Policies and Procedures.
• A bachelor’s degree in land conservation, environmental studies, planning, or related field; or equivalent work experience
• Familiarity with northwest Pennsylvania flora/fauna
• Ability to work efficiently in the field and office both independently and as part of a team, and in a small office environment.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse audience
• Ability to use handheld GPS equipment as well as read maps, interpret aerial photos, and navigate in the field
• Proficiency with computer software including ArcGIS and Microsoft Office as well a social media platforms, MailChimp or mass mailing platforms, and WordPress or similar programs.
• Strong coordination, time management, and organizational skills
• Knowledge of conservation easements and deed restrictions is preferred
• Have a positive attitude, sense of humor, and be energetic, creative, and focused
• Willing to work occasional evenings or weekends, as needed
Position is full-time (40 hours/week), with compensation commensurate to experience, no benefits