COMMUNICATIONS & OUTREACH ASSOCIATE
Potomac Riverkeeper Network (PRKN) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to stopping pollution and restoring clean water in the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers through community engagement, enforcement and strategic media. PRKN has three dedicated Riverkeepers: Upper Potomac, Shenandoah and Potomac. PRKN is a member of Waterkeeper Alliance, the largest and fastest growing nonprofit dedicated solely to clean water. PRKN is recognized as “one of the best small nonprofits” by the Catalogue for Philanthropy and is located in a vibrant, metro accessible neighborhood in Northwest Washington, DC. Find more information www.prknetwork.org.
We seek an enthusiastic, energetic, outgoing, self-starter with a passion for the environment to provide high-level support to our communications efforts. The Associate will work closely with the Communications Director to promote our organization and clean water initiatives. The ideal candidate will have an educational and professional background that demonstrates effective advocacy, campaign and communication skills. Proven experience leveraging social media, persuasive writing, visual media, earned media, and data driven targeting to engage and inspire action is critical. This is an excellent position for a candidate interested in working in a small organization that welcomes creative ideas from staff at all levels, provides a range of responsibilities and opportunities to learn and participate in campaigns that make a difference in people’s lives. Over six million people rely on the Potomac River — “our nation’s river” — for their drinking water. PRKN is the leader in defending this important resource.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Become fluent in our clean water program/campaign work and build support for it through creative communication in traditional and digital media.
• Work closely with Communication Director to develop and execute communication plans for campaigns and organizational visibility efforts.
• Engage our membership and the environmental community through newsletter production, e-blasts and action alerts.
• Collaborate with Communication Director to draft, edit and distribute campaign materials, press releases, letters to the editor, letters to elected officials, feature articles and Op-Eds.
• Under the direction of the Communication Director, develop the social media “voice” and maintain a strong presence through Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and
• Instagram. Execute targeted goals for growth on these platforms.
• Work with media to gain positive coverage of our work and events. Monitor media and participate in rapid response when necessary.
• Identify and activate the next generation of clean water advocates in the DC metro area through a targeted online strategy.
• Promote and help organize our two major annual events, RiverPalooza (and annual series of summer paddle events aimed at building awareness and appreciation for the river) and our Gala.
• Assist in management of volunteer and host committees and event elements.
• Maintain and build our social media presence (Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter,
• Instagram), image library.
• Manage content updates on Website.
• Ensure PRKN has appropriate visual materials (info graphics, photographs etc.) for publications and outreach efforts.
• Create and/or direct design of posters, brochures, flyers, fact sheets, and other print and online materials.
• Edit short videos/films that educate and motivate.
• Create and assist with PRKN presentations and PowerPoints as needed.
• Recruit and manage communications intern to assist with the above so you don’t go crazy.
• Minimum one to three years’ experience non-profit advocacy, political organizing, cause –oriented digital media, communications/public relations, “green” journalism. Experience with non-profit outreach and marketing, events, social media, and reporting preferred.
• Experience in planning and executing successful advertising or advocacy strategies through Facebook. Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and email marketing solutions like MailChimp.
• Outstanding written and verbal skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines with a positive attitude, flexibility and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated success in working as a member of a team and developing effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and the public. Strong work ethic.
• Intermediate or higher level proficiency with PowerPoint (or equivalent),
• Wordpress, Microsoft Office (or Mac equivalent), Adobe Creative Suite essentials like Photoshop InDesign and Final Cut Pro (or Adobe Premier).
• Familiarity with Google Ad Words, Google Analytics, HTML5/ AdobeAnimate CC, Hootsuite and Vertical Response a plus.
• Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written for online and traditional venues.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communications, environmental studies, journalism, social marketing, political science, or related field. Master’s degree in related field desired but not required.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package.
Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample in a single PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Associate” on subject line. Thank you.
PRKN provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender or gender identity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Potomac Riverkeeper Network complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.