Virginia Conservation Network (VCN) seeks a committed and motivated individual to build public support for Virginia’s environment and the policies that protect it through strategic and creative communications initiatives.
Founded as the Conservation Council of Virginia in 1969, VCN began as a roundtable of major conservation groups and has grown to include over 100 Network Partners across the Commonwealth. VCN is committed to building a powerful, diverse, and highly-coordinated conservation movement focused on protecting our Commonwealth’s natural resources.
VCN is a facilitator of strategic action, a resource for Network Partners statewide, and a constant conservation presence in Virginia’s Capitol. Playing a unique role in Virginia’s conservation community, VCN helps the community speak with one coordinated voice. The organization and its staff focus on strengthening the conservation community as a whole and winning environmental victories that benefit all Virginians.
About the Position:
The Communications Manager is responsible for developing and implementing the internal and external communications strategy for VCN. This individual will work closely with VCN’s program staff and Network Partners to ensure the network’s common agenda is elevated to our 100+ partner organizations, as well as state legislators, members of the media, and the general public.
The Communications Manager is responsible for:
● Developing and implementing VCN’s internal and external communications strategy
● Developing shared messaging materials for our Network Partners, including drafting and
disseminating regular Partner Alerts which educate our partners about priority environmental
issues and give their organizations the capacity to take action with a shared message
● Coordinating shared messaging on priority statewide campaigns through VCN’s Communications
Committee, the committee of communications professionals within VCN’s network
● Overseeing the execution of VCN’s three main annual events, including the Environmental
Assembly, General Assembly Preview, and Conservation Lobby Day
● Designing all VCN graphics and publications for issue campaigns and events
● Editing and designing VCN’s annual publication, the Environmental Briefing Book
● Drafting, pitching, and placing stories, statements, press releases, and media advisories,
including joint community releases on breaking issues
● Managing and growing the organization’s digital presence, including social media accounts and
● Assisting partner organizations with communications tasks as needed
● Excellent written and oral communication skills, including copy-editing skills
● Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing strategic communications plans
● Strong project manager with demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects
● Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with partners and the media
● Experience organizing events
● Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Mailchimp, and Salesforce (or similar)
● A passion for protecting our natural resources and landscapes through policy change
● Demonstrated ability to work well independently and outside of an office setting
● Ability and willingness to work occasional weekend or evening hours for special events
Nonprofit salary commensurate with experience; holidays, vacation, retirement, family leave.
Submit the following application components to email@example.com — please include the job name in the subject line and cover letter:
1. Cover Letter
2. Resume (including three professional references)
This position will stay open until filled.
Preferred application deadline is Thursday, December 20, 2018.
No visits or calls please.