PennFuture is seeking a Civic Organizer to manage civic engagement, volunteer recruitment, and advocacy programs in Lehigh and Northampton Counties.
PennFuture is leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We are protecting our air, water and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
PennFuture’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately
impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are
inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
The Lehigh Valley Civic Organizer is primarily responsible for building a sustainable volunteer advocacy program across the Lehigh Valley (Lehigh and Northampton Counties). The Organizer will report to the Field Director and will serve as the principle point of contact for
Lehigh Valley activists and volunteers.
The position is non-political, non-partisan, and full-time exempt at PennFuture, a 501(c)3 environmental advocacy organization in Pennsylvania. The Organizer may, from time-to-time
conduct work for our allies at Conservation Voters of PA.
In particular, the Organizer will:
● Manage regional volunteer recruitment and engagement to advance PennFuture’s
● Implement grassroots tactics to engage prospective volunteers and train them to
become volunteer leaders.
● Become a member of local coalitions and begin new coalitions and advocacy groups,
● Attend regional events and become immersed in local advocacy efforts.
Advocates for Conservation and the Environment (ACE) Program:
● Leverage volunteer recruitment as part of PennFuture’s ACE program to facilitate
engagement of constituents with their elected officials on prominent statewide
environmental policy issues.
● Develop working knowledge of PennFuture’s environmental policy priorities and issues.
● Leverage in-house policy expertise as well as cultivate experts in policy issues to
supplement that knowledge.
● Develop an ongoing list of shared local policy priorities for PennFuture and allies.
● Build relationships with local elected officials in the Lehigh Valley from municipal to state legislative positions.
Qualifications and Experience:
● 2 – 5 years of relevant professional experience in political campaigns, grassroots organizing, or advocacy/issue campaign work
● Collaborative spirit. Must be a personable, dependable team player.
● Strong commitment to PennFuture’s mission.
● Drivers license and access to a vehicle.
● Strong understanding of the Lehigh Valley and regional environmental issues.
● Strong written and oral communication skills.
● Excellent personal organizational and time management skills.
● Demonstrated ability to recruit volunteer activists and mobilize public support
● Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Familiarity with the
complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities of color participation in U.S.
This full-time position is based in the Lehigh Valley. Compensation $40,000 – $45,000, based on experience. Generous benefits package includes health care, dental, life insurance, paid vacation, paid sick leave, and an employer match for retirement. Evening and weekend hours are often required, along with significant travel throughout the region and occasional travel into either the Philadelphia or Mt. Pocono offices.