PennFuture is leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We are protecting our air, water and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
Job Description: Central PA Organizer (Harrisburg, PA)
The Central PA Organizer recruits, trains, and manages volunteers in central Pennsylvania to advocate for environmental issues. He or she is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with PennFuture constituents and volunteers as well as identifying and training prospective environmental leaders. The Organizer works with a team of professionals including attorneys, policy experts, media professionals, and other outreach and civic engagement staff.
• Manage regional volunteer recruitment and engagement to advance PennFuture’s regional policy goals;
• Implement grassroots tactics to engage prospective volunteers;
• Mobilize and train citizen advocates in key local, state, and federal legislative districts;
• Leverage PennFuture’s outreach, policy, communications/media, and legal staff and expertise to support implementation of a cohesive, integrated regional volunteer and civic engagement program;
• Work with regional civic associations to organize and facilitate volunteer meetings and events – occasional evening and weekend hours;
• Craft campaign e-mails, action alerts, website content, blog and social media posts; draft, edit, and submit letters to the editor and other opinion pieces;
• Manage canvass program during election season;
• Community outreach and event tabling; perform other project and administrative duties, including volunteer data entry, as directed.
• Proven success in volunteer recruitment and engagement.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent social media skills.
• Enthusiasm for PennFuture, its mission, and its brand.
• Detail oriented and highly organized.
• Driver License.
• Familiarity with non-profit organizations is preferred though not required.
Education and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• 2+ years in organizing, volunteer engagement, advocacy, or campaigns.
• Familiarity with conservation and environmental issues preferred.
• Regional knowledge and relationships a plus.
• Strong leadership skills and ability to work with staff on site and remotely.
• Experience with Salsa Engage (an online advocacy tool) is a plus.
Location, Compensation, and Reporting:
The position is based in Harrisburg. Competitive salary based on experience. Generous benefits package includes health care, dental, life insurance and paid time off. This position reports to the Director of Outreach.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to the Director of Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Central PA Organizer” in the subject line. The application deadline is January 7, 2019.