Title: Americorps Member – Outings and Events Assistant
Supervisor: Director of Operations with strategic guidance from the Adventure Coordinator
Employment: 32.5 hours/week, 900 hour AmeriCorps Service through the PA Mountain Service Corps
Start Date: January 10 through August 7
Compensation: AmeriCorps stipend, www.pmsc.org
Based in State College, ClearWater Conservancy is the foremost land trust and natural resource conservation organization in central Pennsylvania. Since 1980, ClearWater has worked to improve and protect the natural resources of central Pennsylvania for all through land conservation, water resource protection, and environmental outreach to the community. Learn more about our work at www.clearwaterconservancy.org.
The Pennsylvania Mountain Service Corps (PMSC) AmeriCorps program was created in 1994, and began with a 40 member Corps that would be partnered with nonprofit and governmental organizations across 10 Pennsylvania counties, (Armstrong, Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Fayette, Fulton, Huntingdon, Indiana, Somerset, and Westmoreland.) The Corps was designed to address all four major AmeriCorps initiatives, Education, Human Needs, Public Safety, and Environment. Learn more at www.pmsc.org. This position is a full-time service position through the Americorps Program and housed at ClearWater Conservancy.
ClearWater strives to create a fun, inspiring, and family–friendly work environment with flexible work
hours, and a team-oriented structure.
The Outings and Events Assistant is responsible for helping to promote and implement major events, group adventures, and outreach opportunities. The Outings and Events Assistant will also help track, support and communicate with our volunteers to ensure community engagement with programs and events. A successful candidate will demonstrate a passion for conservation, ability to lead and work within a team, and has a willingness to progress work through collaborative approaches. This position will have primary responsibilities to assist with outreach programs at ClearWater Conservancy; including Centred Outdoors, Adventures in Conservation, Stormwater Education, Watershed Cleanup Day, Otto’s Golf Fest, and other community outreach events. This is a fixed-term position for a 900 hour AmeriCorps service.
• Ensure well-functioning events offer an amazing guest / participant experience.
• Guarantee the safety and wellbeing of program participants in remote locations.
• Represent ClearWater Conservancy and communicate our mission and projects at public events.
• Manage a volunteer database.
• Enlist the assistance of volunteers on ClearWater projects and events with the help of the Adventure Coordinator and Director of Operations.
• Ensure that the reputation of ClearWater Conservancy is always reflected in a style that is positive and consistent with the mission of the organization.
• Support educational events and activities, including ClearWater’s Adventures in
• Fulfill outreach and education programs between the MS4 Partnership for the Spring Creek
Watershed and ClearWater Conservancy including Watershed Cleanup Day.
• Provide assistance to program staff with writing and organizing information for website updates, E-News and other forms of communication to the public.
• Contribute to and participate in outreach activities as needed.
• Provide back-up administrative duties as requested or necessary such as general inquiry telephone calls, e-mails and note taking for various meetings.
• Work closely with staff, volunteers and board in support of conservation projects and to foster a welcoming and respected community institution.
• Draft, proofread and edit correspondence.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions/Physical Conditions
The Outings and Events Assistant will be required to perform a wide array of physically demanding tasks, such as hiking on uneven ground for long periods of time and conducting site visits in inclement weather, and will need to work weekends and evenings to fulfill his/her responsibilities. Time will be divided between field and office. Must be able to lift and carry 30 lbs.
Desired Qualifications: Experience with adventure or recreation program management desired. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including written, verbal, public speaking and social media are required. Candidate must be willing to work flexible hours, evenings and weekends and be willing to work in a small office setting under pressure with good humor and grace. Candidate must have a valid PA driver’s license, clean driving record and a reliable personal vehicle for transportation to and from work and meetings.
Personal Characteristics: Ideal candidates will possess an outgoing personality that is friendly, compassionate, and professional with strong creative, strategic, and organizational skills. A desire to learn new things and explore is required. Preference will be given to those Passionate and knowledgeable about natural resource conservation and the environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ClearWater Conservancy provides an equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability as set forth by applicable state and federal laws. In addition, laws regarding veteran or military status are observed. This commitment is reflected in all our practices and policies regarding hiring, training, promotions, rates of pay, layoff, and other forms of compensation. All matters relating to employment are based upon ability to perform the job, as well as dependability and reliability once hired.