PennFuture is one of the first statewide environmental organizations in Pennsylvania to employ a full-time legal staff to fulfill its mission. Entering its third decade as a force for environmental protection, PennFuture has four offices across the state. PennFuture prides itself on employing some of the brightest, most determined and committed environmental lawyers. With legal tactics at the organization’s core, PennFuture lawyers are given substantial responsibility and independence to shape legal strategies that achieve outcomes and address priorities. The position offers a unique opportunity to use advocacy, regulatory, watchdog, and litigation skills to advance case law, shape and defend environmental policy, ensure environmental laws are enforced accordingly, and, ultimately, protect the environment.
This Staff Attorney position will prioritize clean air legal activities. Western Pennsylvania communities, including Pittsburgh, are impacted by some of the worst air pollution in the United States. Through campaigns, coalitions, and other tactics, PennFuture is working aggressively to reduce air pollution in the region from major industrial polluters and eliminate threats from increased energy and petrochemical production. As such, PennFuture seeks an air attorney to lead these efforts, engage with coalition members, and take on important cases that could impact hundreds of thousands of people.
In particular, the Staff Attorney:
• Develops and implements litigation in state and federal courts and before administrative tribunals on a wide range of issues, including those related to air quality, including discovery, pre-trial motions, trials, and appellate work.
• Researches and prepares comments on agency rules, policies, guidance documents, and permits.
• Develops and coordinates enforcement and campaign advocacy actions in collaboration with other PennFuture departments, other environmental organizations, and coalition members, as appropriate.
• Works with legal and program staff to support PennFuture grants and execute organizational strategy.
• Provides legal support and leadership for staff and clients throughout western Pennsylvania. Develops and builds on existing relationships with grass tops and key PennFuture allies.
• Participates in PennFuture’s other advocacy, fundraising, and communications efforts with area expertise and legal input as well as other work, as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Effective litigator with at least 5 years’ experience in environmental or public interest law. Clean air legal experience strongly preferred.
• Admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar, or eligible for admission upon appointment.
• Commitment to PennFuture’s mission and demonstrated commitment to advancing environmental protection with vision and results.
• Entrepreneurial character with a proven ability to identify new opportunities to achieve objectives that meet PennFuture’s strategic goals.
• Ability to communicate well through written, verbal, and collaborative means with diverse staff and communities.
• Proven ability to partner with other organizations to achieve objectives and to maintain long term relationships with clients and partner organizations.
• Willing to travel, as needed.
This position will ideally be based out of PennFuture’s Pittsburgh office.
This is a full-time, exempt, position. Competitive salary based on experience. Benefits package includes health care, dental, vision, paid vacation, paid sick leave, paid holidays, and a 403(b)-retirement plan.
PennFuture is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from individuals underrepresented in the environmental community, including people of color, and persons with non-traditional work and educational experience. All who believe they meet the stated qualifications are invited to apply.