Natural Lands is a non-profit organization that saves open space, cares for nature, and connects people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. We’ve been at it since the early 1950s and, today, more than 2.5 million people live within five miles of lands under our permanent protection.
The Staff Accountant will assist the Controller in maintaining and overseeing all accounting functions and provide Natural Lands’ staff with accurate and timely financial reporting. Year one will involve rotating through various positions to develop a broad base of organizational understanding. This position provides an excellent opportunity for significant advancement for the motivated candidate.
• Responsible for all monthly close procedures and deadlines.
• Maintain investment schedule allocations.
• Assist in the development of internal controls and policies
• Prepare various monthly and quarterly reporting for management
a. Monthly budget vs. actual Reports – Identify and report cost variances
b. Quarterly Operations reports
• Manage multiple aspects of the general ledger:
a. Prepare journal entries
b. Prepare G/L reconciliations
c. Report and resolve any identified issues
• Assist in preparation of annual Budgets and Forecasts
• Assist in preparation for annual Audit and Tax Return (Form-990)
A full job description and an outline of the training rotation are available on our website.
• Provide back-up support for all accounting related functions
• Special Projects as assigned by the VP Finance and Administration and Controller
The successful candidate will have:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related business discipline with at least two years accounting work experience. Auditing experience is a plus.
• Knowledge of accounting principles and functions
• Possess strong analytical skills, an eye for details and the ability to problem solve
• Organized and able to work both independently and collaboratively
• Good communication skills
• Excellent computer skills. Must be proficient with MS Office especially MS Excel.
• Knowledge of and prior experience with database setup (FileMaker) and Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains a plus.
Natural Lands does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for staff, volunteers, members, visitors, partner organizations and clients.