Senior Attorney Position
With Delaware Riverkeeper Network, a Nonprofit Environmental Organization
Date posted November 22, 2019
The Delaware Riverkeeper Network (DRN) has an immediate opening for a seasoned litigator/attorney in its Bristol, Pennsylvania office. The Senior Attorney will carry their own case load, oversee legal interns, and help provide oversight to the junior attorney on staff. The Senior Attorney will be expected to work independently as well as in collaboration with other senior DRN advocacy and legal staff.
DRN works to protect the Delaware River watershed and ecosystems from threats such as shale gas extraction, pipeline and powerline construction, dredging, stormwater runoff, wetlands degradation, species take and pollution. DRN’s legal team consists of a senior outside counsel, two full-time staff attorneys, a junior support attorney/paralegal, and a law clinic. The two senior attorneys on staff report to Ms. van Rossum, who is the Delaware Riverkeeper, leader of DRN and also an attorney.
• Develop and pursue litigation in state and federal courts and administrative tribunals to advance the organization’s strategic objectives.
• Manage relationships with co-counsel, outside counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
• Co-direct the River Resources Environmental Law Clinic each academic semester including providing hands on training to law interns working with DRN for school credit, and providing legal instruction as needed.
• Supervising and mentoring staff attorneys and legal interns
Applicants must be law school graduates who are admitted, or are willing to apply for admission, to at least one of the state bars of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, or Delaware.
The ideal applicant will have:
• 3 to 7 years of environmental litigation experience working with the Clean Water Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Natural Gas Act, the Endangered Species Act, and/or other relevant federal and state environmental statutes.
• Experience in administrative and judicial proceedings and experience in undertaking factual investigations.
• Superb research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
• The ability to mentor and oversee more junior staff and interns.
• Strong ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• A demonstrated commitment to public service and public interest litigation.
Terms of Employment & Salary:
The position is anticipated to be full time.
We offer compensation on a public interest scale commensurate with experience including an excellent benefits package. Salary: $90K
The position is located in DRN’s main office located in Bristol, Bucks County, PA