The Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania is a historic public garden and educational institution. It promotes an understanding of the relationship between plants, people and place through programs that integrate science, art and the humanities.
Description: The Morris Arboretum is looking for an industrious, part-time seasonal gardener to assist with projects in the natural lands. Experience working with and/or an interest in native plants is desired. This position frequently requires the expenditure of physical labor and the use of motorized equipment and other tools. Duties/Responsibilities include trimming, mowing, weeding, watering, planting, pruning, and invasive plant management. This is a 16-29 hour per week position that operates within the standard workweek (Monday through Friday, 7:30AM to 4:00PM). The exact schedule can be somewhat flexible. Seasonal Gardeners are not eligible for Penn benefits, except to the extent required by applicable law.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Safely and effectively operate small engine equipment such as string-trimmers, backpack blowers, and brush hog
• Identify and properly control weeds
• Learn and use proper techniques for planting, mulching, and deer protection
• Take part in watering young trees and plants
• Demonstrate attention to detail with all garden tasks that enhance the Arboretum’s public image
• A valid driver’s license is required
• Be able and willing to follow directions and work independently as well as part of a team
• Be able and willing to communicate with Arboretum visitors
• Be able and willing to work in all weather conditions
• Be able and willing to lift at least 50 lbs. and perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather
• Plant identification skills helpful
Date Available: Beginning March 2018
How to Apply: Please complete the University of Pennsylvania’s Application for Temporary Employment found here: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/perelmanquad/assets/office/student-employment.pdf and email to firstname.lastname@example.org