Gunpowder Valley Conservancy (GVC) is seeking an Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator for our Education and Restoration Program’s Clear Creeks: Our Water, Our Heritage, Our Pride Project.
Position starts Feb., 2016. Work will be conducted in Middle River/Tidal Gunpowder/Bird River watersheds of Baltimore County.
The Outreach/Volunteer Coordinator will promote and conduct outreach to motivate watershed residents, businesses, churches, and community organizations to implement storm water best management practices via the Clear Creeks Project programs.
This person will be responsible for managing GVCâs online Clear Creeks Project Volunteer data base as well as researching and recruiting local resident and community group involvement for the Clear Creeks project conservation garden workshops, adopt a stream trainings and stream clean ups, tree plantings, and community project events.
– Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Environmental Field or Social Sciences
– 1 year minimum experience with social media
– Ability to write professionally using all forms of social media required
– Must have experience demonstrating an understanding of how to engage with a community of color that is culturally sensitive
– Must demonstrate knowledge about the culture and history of people of color.
– Ability to work with diverse groups of people of different backgrounds and ages
– Must have own transportation, access to internet, cell phone and digital camera for event use.
– Strong commitment to environment issues
– Preference given to those who are familiar with Gunpowder Watershed and understanding of local environmental issues
– Must work Saturdays and some evenings
– Required documentation or correspondence will be conducted from home
– Maintain and regularly update online volunteer data base
– Create well written emails and social media tools to promote the project and programs
– Research, find and recruit local residents and community group volunteers or participants for project events: workshops, trainings, tree plantings, stream clean ups, and community educational events
– Attend and assist Asst. Project Manager with workshop surveys at project events
– Create a variety of educational materials
– Create press releases
– Conduct outreach by attending community organization events using GVC display and literature or by conducting project power point presentations
– Take digital photographs to document events; send to Program Director and web master for upload
– Send out pre-registration confirmation emails for project events; notify registrants in event of cancellation; send registration lists to Assistant Project ManagerÂ prior to event
Coordinator will report to Peg Perry, GVC Education and Restoration Director, and Clear Creeks Project Manager.
Position is for 11 months, average 5 hours a week, 250 hours at $23/hour from Feb. 15 through Dec. 31, 2016.
Please email resume and cover letter to Peg Perry at email@example.com by Feb. 10, 2016.Â Interviews begin on Feb. 17, 2016.
The Gunpowder Valley Conservancy, a non-profit organization, educates and mobilizes people and resources to care for the lands, waters and character of the Gunpowder Watershed.Â Its emphasis is on land preservation, restoration, stream cleanups and education.