OSMRE VISTA Middle Susquehanna RiverkeeperThe Lewisburg, PA-based Middle Susquehanna Riverkeeper champions clean water action to ensure that residents of and visitors to the watershed – much of which has been severely impacted by Abandoned Mine Drainage and Abandoned Land Drainage and where pockets of population are impoverished and considered Environmental Justice areas – have swimmable, drinkable, fishable water, not only to enhance the quality of life but to provide life itself for its communities, through environmental restoration and subsequent economic recovery. Clean water creates healthy, vibrant, sustainable communities.
The 3 primary goals for Project Healthy ‘Hanna are:
1. Build the organization’s capacity through the creation of guiding documents, such as a strategic plan, a fundraising/financial sustainability plan, and a social media and PR plan;
2. Develop a citizen-based watershed monitoring initiative through the development and implementation of a program to monitor the impacts of linear construction on water quality, possibly caused by erosion and sedimentation due to earth-disturbing activities, throughout the watershed; and
3. Establish and nurture relationships with communities throughout the watershed through efforts such as community events, public presentations, social media outreach, education programs (including children’s museum), and volunteer opportunities.
The long-term success of the organization – and subsequently its impacts on the water quality in the 11,000-square mile Middle Susquehanna River watershed and on its communities – can only occur by building a strong organizational foundation first. The primary objective of Project Healthy ‘Hanna is to put these building blocks in place and introduce the organization’s 1st citizen-based water quality program while becoming a key contributor to and member of the community. Applications are reviewed and the position will be filled on a rolling basis. Please apply early to be considered.
No 2 days will be the same for this VISTA! With much work to be done, daily activities may include:
• Preparing planning documents, writing social media posts and updating the organization’s website,
• Interacting with visitors in the River Room at the new children’s museum,
• Recruiting and training volunteers,
• Visiting river towns,
• Coordinating educational activities on land and water,
• Supporting the work of citizen water quality monitors,
• Planning and participating in awareness events,
• Learning about the threats to the river and exploring possible solutions, and
• Networking with environmental professionals and community leaders
As an added bonus to the dog lovers, Middle Susquehanna Riverkeeper program has a working-dog-in-training who is learning sewage leak detection skills to find pollution sources throughout the watershed. Susquehanna (Sussey) is a now one-year-old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever who spends most of his day with the Riverkeeper!
Professional development funds, Training, Health Coverage*, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend, Relocation Allowance, Childcare assistance if eligible, Living Allowance.
*For details about AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits, please visit http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare
Permits working at another job during off hours, Car recommended, Permits attendance at school during off hours.
Community and Economic Development, Community Outreach, Environment.
Public Speaking, Recruitment, Leadership, Environment, Education, Youth Development, Business/Entrepreneur, Public Health, web/social media, Non-Profit Management, Communications, Writing/Editing, Community Organization, General Skills, Fund raising/Grant Writing.