Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), a nonprofit organization with more than 160,000 members and supporters, is the nation’s largest trails organization dedicated to connecting people and communities by creating a nationwide network of public trails, many from former rail lines and connecting corridors. Founded in 1986, RTC’s national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
This position is located in our national office in downtown Washington, D.C., and is easily accessible from Metro’s red, orange, silver and blue lines.
The Multimedia Content Specialist/Graphic Design will be responsible for producing graphic art, design, infographics and other visual materials for outreach, marketing, promotions and publications for print and digital platforms. This position also will maintain the RTC Brand, serving as both a creative voice and watchdog to ensure consistency throughout RTC’s print and digital design portfolio. The specialist will develop and manage a robust, searchable database of photos and images and will provide support in developing graphics and video for the website and social media platforms. He or she will be responsible for taking projects from conception through to completion including:conceptualizing design; generating layout; working with departments to refine and hone products; creating/finding/procuring art and other images; preparing files for print/online publishing; working with editors; and, acquiring bids from printers/publishers/consultants.
- Work across departments to develop a wide range of print-based graphics and other illustrative material in support of the organization’s mission.
- Conceptualize and develop illustrations and infographics, integrating data, text, computer graphics, art, photographs or other media.
- Serve as a liaison with outside designers, publishers and printers, when needed.
- Other communications and marketing duties as assigned.
- Design, layout and coordinate the printing of (when applicable) annual reports, research reports, policy platforms, case studies, calendars, promotional materials (flyers, fact sheets, brochures, posters, invitations, advertisements and banners), direct mail pieces, stationary, business cards, holiday cards and other materials, as needed.
- Create digital campaign graphics for the website, social media and e-marketing platforms when needed.
- Provide support in developing video for publication on the website and social media platforms.
- Maintain consistent use of the RTC logo and establish a consistent look for RTC identity recognition across the organization’s product portfolio.
- Develop and maintain RTC photo (digital and film) archives, and manage photo permissions and distribution (both internal and external to RTC).
There are currently no supervisory responsibilities for this position. The position reports to the Director of Communications and Marketing.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor of Arts or Science in Graphic Design, Communications or related field and 3 to 5 years of experience.
- An excellent eye for design.
- Proficiency with a variety of design applications, including but not limited to: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop; Microsoft Publisher.
- Proficiency with graphic design concepts, practices and procedures, both print- and web-based.
- Familiarity and/or experience with video production/editing for the web desirable.
- Familiarity with digital publishing a plus.
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS a plus.
- A wide degree of creativity and flexibility, and the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
Normal office setting with low-to-moderate noise level.
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with our business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
How to Apply
Please use one form of transmitting your resume. No phone calls please, unless contacted for an in-person interview. Recruiters, please do not contact our offices.
Mail, fax or email cover letter, résumé and three professional references to:
Elton A. Clark
Human Resources Manager
The Duke Ellington Building
2121 Ward Court, NW, 5th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20037
Hiring Organization: Rails-to-Trails Conservancy