The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay (Alliance), a regional non-profit organization based in Annapolis, MD with offices in Virginia and Pennsylvania, seeks candidates for their Maryland Restoration Program Manager position. The Maryland Restoration Program Manager will manage current ecological, on-the-ground restoration projects and will provide strategic guidance for growing a portfolio of restoration projects and programs for the Alliance.
About the Alliance:
For over 47 years, the Alliance has been committed to improving water quality throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed through partnerships across sectors, inclusion of a diversity of voices at the table, and helping building capacity for action on the ground for cleaner water. With almost five decades of experience, we still believe that the best results come from bringing people together to find common ground, and working to deploy “boots on the ground” in order to bring clean water projects to fruition. Building partnerships is in our DNA. The Alliance remains highly effective in forming collaborative efforts that successfully support local governments, watershed and conservation groups, community organizations, residents, and businesses, in their efforts to improve water quality in local rivers and streams of the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
Who We are Looking for:
The Maryland Restoration Program Manager will be a key staff person for the Alliance in Maryland. Therefore, we are looking for a creative, thoughtful, and adaptable person who thrives in a dynamic, yet nurturing environment. The right candidate will be able to think critically and strategically about projects and programs to meet the Alliance’s goals. This position has many opportunities to grow within the organization.
Ideal Knowledge, Experience, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Management or related field and 8+ years of relevant professional experience. (A Master’s degree may be substituted for 2 years of professional experience.)
- Working knowledge of the Chesapeake Bay region and/or watershed concepts and challenges, along with relationships to funders, partners, local government, and other Maryland stakeholders.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing/managing complex and effective ecological, on-the-ground restoration projects including but not limited to: stream restoration, stormwater management, wetland restoration/enhancement/creation, living shoreline restoration, and projects related to climate resiliency outcomes.
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal permitting processes related to habitat and stormwater projects.
- Proven experience in researching, synthesizing, and successfully communicating best practices for habitat and stormwater restoration through the development and deployment of reports, outreach/promotional materials, and presentations.
- Ability to collaborate seamlessly with all Alliance team members (staff, financial and administrative management operations, etc.) to meet organizational goals.
- Ability to build mutually beneficial partnerships with key stakeholders in a professional setting, including (not limited to): grant funding organizations, professional consultants, local government employees, elected officials, private businesses, private landowners, academic institutions, local and regional watershed or conservation groups, and volunteers.
- Ability to build and maintain funding streams and project/program opportunities (through grant writing or other means) to create a pipeline of ecological restoration work and grow the Alliance’s ecological restoration footprint in Maryland.
- Ability to develop and manage project/program budgets from cost estimation through billing and invoicing coordination, with a keen eye on cash flow management.
- And as always, we seek candidates with strong leadership, communication, and multi-tasking skills that can ensure that all objectives, goals, and deliverables are met on-time and with integrity.
Working at the Alliance:
This is a full-time (4o hour/week) position with some evening and/or weekend work required depending on established project deliverables.
The Alliance aspires to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs.
The Alliance offers a family and dog-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application.
The Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit our website at allianceforthebay.org
Supervision: The Maryland Restoration Program Manager will report to the Executive Director.
Office Location: 501 Sixth Street, Annapolis, MD 21403. Travel to our offices in Lancaster, PA, Washington, DC, and Richmond, VA will occasionally be required.
Salary range: $60,000+ commensurate with experience