Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are hiring a Program Coordinator to develop and implement the organization’s legislative, electoral, and policy work in Maryland at both the local and state levels. We are seeking an energetic and experienced candidate with a policy and advocacy background.
Our current campaigns cover a broad set of issues including enforcement of existing environmental laws, reducing urban stormwater pollution, stricter pesticide regulation, and environmental justice. We build our campaigns from the ground up, using our field canvass to engage citizens at home and our staff organizers leverage these connections to boost our campaigns and make sure citizen voices are heard on issues they care about. Clean Water Action is a national citizens’ organization working for clean, safe, affordable water, prevention of health threatening pollution, creation of environmentally safe jobs and businesses, and empowerment of people to make democracy work. Clean Water Action has nearly one million members in 18 states and the District of Columbia, and over 100,000 members in the Chesapeake region. Clean Water Fund is a national research and education organization that promotes the public interest on issues relating to water, waste and toxics.
The Program Coordinator will:
• Serve as the face of Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund in Maryland and represent the organization on priority local and state campaigns throughout Maryland
• Coordinate Clean Water Action’s electoral program in Maryland
• Coordinate priority campaigns within the organization, including developing and implementing winning strategies for local and state campaigns
• Work with allies on joint campaign efforts; build and sustain diverse campaign coalitions to win on our issues
• Serve as the organization’s primary presence with the General Assembly
• Represent the organization to agencies, elected bodies, groups, the media and the community
• Provide research and policy support for priority campaigns, including developing messaging and materials to support our campaigns
• Participate in organizational planning and strategy
• Assist in raising funds to support the development and implementation of campaigns
• Serve as team lead for Baltimore office
• Provide briefings, materials, and support to Clean Water’s field and phone canvasses
• Carry out other activities as assigned.
• Three to five years experience with issue campaigns including a minimum of one year experience leading an environmental, social justice, or election campaign
• Experience lobbying, analyzing policy initiatives, and with local and state legislative processes in Maryland preferred
• Experience creating, leading and implementing campaign plans and coalitions
• Experience with grassroots advocacy and an understanding of how to build power by engaging citizens, including creating complementary local and statewide campaigns
• Familiarity with and understanding of social justice issues and advocacy
• Electoral campaign experience highly desirable
• Excellent communication skills: writing for the public, technical writing, and public speaking
• Ability to work independently and in a team; well-organized and self-motivated
• Willing to take feedback and direction
• Experience working with professional field and phone canvass operations highly desirable
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with diverse groups
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task and problem-solve in fast paced, dynamic work environment
• Research and strong critical thinking skills; computer skills including social media; experience with voter files
• Willing to travel within Maryland; available for evenings and weekends
• Spanish language skills a plus
How to Apply:
Email a letter of interest and a resume to Brent Bolin at BBolin@cleanwater.org. Internal candidates please notify your supervisor before applying.
Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund are equal opportunity employers and value a diverse workplace. People of color and those from economically disadvantaged communities are particularly encouraged to apply. Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Salary commensurate with experience; attractive benefits package available
Tuesday, October 25, 2016