Stoneleigh, a 42-acre former private estate located in Villanova, PA, is transitioning to a public garden set to open in May 2018. As a key contributor to this process, the Horticulturist’s primary role will be to assist in the design, installation and maintenance of garden landscapes and natural areas. He or she will also be required to perform, as needed, any and all additional tasks necessary for the development of Stoneleigh.
– Perform general gardening duties such as pruning, planting, weeding, watering, mulching, mowing, snow and debris removal.
– Operate heavy equipment including farm tractors, mini excavators, backhoes, commercial mowers, as well as power tools such as chainsaws, blowers, string trimmers and other maintenance equipment.
– Monitor and inspect plants for health deficiencies and problems, ascertain proper corrective measures and apply appropriate pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers.
– With managerial approval, select, source, procure and purchase plants, supplies and materials such as trees, shrubs, seeds, mulch, soil and garden tools and equipment.
– Assist with public events, tours, educational programs, and membership activities.
– Work with contractors, consultants and volunteers, as necessary.
– Monitor the property and structures for unwarranted use, vandalism and trash.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
– Must possess general horticulture and gardening knowledge.
– Must be passionate about horticulture and native plants.
– Flexible when dealing with changes in work plans.
– Must be comfortable engaging the general public.
– Highly motivated, responsible, reliable and dependable.
– Must carry out tasks in a professional manner and have an aptitude for injecting positive energy and good humor into the work day.
– Willingness to perform subordinate tasks such as clean-up.
Physical Requirements/ Working Conditions:
– Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record.
– Successfully pass a background check.
– Must be able to walk, stand, bend and squat on uneven terrain; must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds and push up to 50 pounds.
– Must be comfortable working from a ladder, lift and other high places.
– Must be prepared to work outdoors under all conditions, including heat, cold, and with occasional exposure to poison ivy, biting and stinging insects, etc.
– Must be available to occasionally work weekends, evenings and holidays.
Use the online application program on the Job Opportunities page at our website: Natural Lands’ Online Application Page