WORK WITH USThe Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Visit www.nature.org/about-us to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
POSITION SUMMARYThe GIS Assistant is a short-term part-time position in our Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Office that will provide opportunity to gain experience in developing and maintaining GIS databases and producing maps related to land protection, property management and habitat restoration.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSThe GIS Assistant will support the Conservation Lands Program Manager by maintaining and developing spatial databases and manual files, and produce maps and/or other graphic products and reports.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPEEnsures integrity of both data collection and management relating to conservation projects and project statistics.
• Work and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people, including scientists, project managers, stewardship staff and others, providing and obtaining needed information.
• Manage, produce and populate databases and maps using spatial or tabular data.
• Works independently with close supervision and direction.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS• High school diploma and 6 months of related experience.
• Must be proficient with Esri ArcGIS Desktop 10x
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and web browsers.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS• Ability to follow instructions from colleagues.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Working towards or recently completed a GIS, Geography, Biology, or Natural Resources degree, or certificate.
• Managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources.
• Ability to perform duties emphasizing detail-oriented and numerical tasks including data entry.
• Database and computer spatial or tabular based management skills including managing, maintaining and populating databases.
• Building, populating and producing maps and/or reports from databases.
HOW TO APPLYTo apply to position number 44813, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 2, 2016.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture best advance our conservation mission. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.