Natural Lands is a non-profit organization that saves open space, cares for nature, and connects people to the outdoors in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. We’ve been at it since the early 1950s and, today, more than 2.5 million people live within five miles of lands under our permanent protection.
The Director of Institutional Giving oversees and manages the full life cycle of Natural Lands’ foundation grant fundraising in a fast-paced and highly motivated Development Department and plays a role in the organization’s pursuit of corporate sponsorship. As an integral member of the eight-person development team, the Director of Institutional Giving has additional responsibilities and assignments associated with strategic and work planning, budgeting, communications, and donor events.
• Develop and meet strategic and annual work plan and budgeted goals for foundation (to include corporate foundation) fundraising.
• Attend to the full life cycle of Natural Lands’ foundation fundraising: prospecting and research; exploratory conversations; relationship advancement; proposal and report production; stewardship visits; and relevant data tracking and forecasting.
• Manage sponsorship fundraising for Stardust: A Summer Celebration—Natural Lands’ annual fundraising event; participate in broader cross-departmental efforts to build corporate sponsorship at signature events and beyond.
The successful candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Minimum of seven or more years of experience with all aspects of foundation and/or corporate fundraising.
• Demonstrated track record of success with grant fundraising; proven experience managing foundation and corporate relationships.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Practiced and successful history of non-profit case-making.
• Experience serving as a spokesperson for organizational priorities.
• Easy ability to make internal and external connections
• Capacity to balance multiple and sometimes competing deadlines and to work productively and amicably in a fast-paced and motivated environment.
• A talent for managing-up (particularly senior management and board leadership).
• Willingness to assist with other fundraising and relationship advancement outside of core responsibilities.
• Proficiency in word processing and computer databases; ability to learn specific database software and to analyze and utilize database information; knowledge of Blackbaud/Raiser’s Edge or similar fund-raising software preferred.
• Strong interest in conservation and Natural Lands’ mission.