Background: Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve was founded in 1934 with a mission to inspire the appreciation and use of native plants by serving as a sanctuary and an educational resource for conservation and stewardship. It is a member-supported nonprofit organization that has come to be recognized as a local treasure, a state resource and a national institution. Known regionally for its community-based programming, it is considered a statewide source for wildflowers and is the only accredited museum in the nation focused exclusively on native flora.
Position Summary: The Development Associate is an integral part of the Preserve staff, providing crucial administrative support to the development office and overseeing recruitment and retention of the Preserve’s membership and business partners programs. The position also provides crucial support for annual fund, gala, sponsorships and other charitable income streams. The Development Associate is responsible for data entry, database management and routine maintenance, donor and member acknowledgements, list management, participating in all fundraising activities including direct mail appeals, membership recruitment and renewals, and special events. The position supports the Development Office with grant administration, donor relationships, sponsorships, and is central to coordination of the Spring Wildflower Gala.
Requirements: A Bachelor’s degree and experience in the non-profit sector with donor management databases, such as Raiser’s Edge, are strongly preferred.
• Manage and maintain the confidential donor database. Continually update and correct database records. Support others in the use of Raiser’s Edge software.
• Routinely perform data clean-up as part of database maintenance responsibilities
• Manage lists including membership, business partners, sponsors, donors, prospects, Land Ethics Symposium and other education program lists for mail appeals, digital appeals, invitations, newsletters, registrations, and Preserve Notes.
• Coordinate development volunteers and oversee mailings, including membership recruitment and membership renewals, annual fund appeals, newsletters, Preserve Notes, and invitations.
• Create queries, exports, and reports from Raiser’s Edge as needed and analyze results.
• Maintain grant records in Raiser’s Edge (e.g. tracks proposals, deadlines, grant status, and reports).
• Prepare deposit slips and process all charitable contributions including donations, in-kind contributions, tribute and memorial gifts, memberships, grants, event proceeds, and matching gifts.
• Prepare acknowledgement letters, membership cards and other correspondence.
• Oversee fulfillment of membership, sponsor, and donor recognition.
• Coordinate member and donor cultivation events, working with staff and volunteers on logistics.
• Attend fundraising and outreach events as assigned and assist with event materials, preparation, registrations, banks, set-up, and clean-up.
• Coordinate database updates and keep current on advances in database management software.
• Other duties as assigned
Work Schedule: This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday, with work 6-8 weekends a year required.
Benefits: Benefits include health insurance, vacation time, and paid time off.