Location: PEC’s Headquarters in Warrenton, Virginia
Supervisor: Director of Outreach & Communications
Job Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC empowers residents to protect what makes the Piedmont a wonderful place, and works with citizens to weigh in on important land use and policy decisions, conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks, promote sustainable energy choices, restore wildlife habitat and improve people’s access to nature.
Description of PositionThe Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is seeking to hire a Communications Specialist to promote PEC’s mission and programs through a mix of print and online platforms. The Communications Specialist will work to advance the following goals:
- Building a network of reliable activists, donors and members;
- Influencing decision-makers to reach better outcomes;
- Increasing positive awareness of PEC and building support for PEC programs;
- Changing behavior and fostering an ethic of good stewardship.
Areas of Responsibility
The Communications Specialist will report to PEC’s Director of Outreach and Communications and be responsible for the functions outlined below:
- Write, edit and develop engaging content for print publications and online platforms.
- Design and produce marketing/promotional materials (e.g. flyers, handouts, posters, newsletters, etc).
- Promote PEC content through email, social media and in-person events/networking.
- Collaborate with PEC staff to develop and launch relevant messaging and advocacy campaigns, as well as fundraising appeals.
- Respond to public questions and information requests via email, phone and social media.
- Assist staff with the development of presentations for meetings and public outreach events.
- Work with the other members of the communications team to develop and cultivate relationships with press, external partners, and peers in related organizations, acting as a representative of PEC to external contacts in meetings, events, and other engagements.
- Manage relationships with outside vendors and consultants.
- Assist with PEC events and field projects as necessary.
Outstanding candidates will share a commitment to PEC’s mission and will bring the following experience and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years related work experience or equivalent;
- Demonstrated communications and storytelling skills, both written and oral, including the ability to write, edit and proof written materials;
- Proficiency with Adobe design products like Photoshop, InDesign;
- Experience with photography/videography a plus;
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic HTML is a plus;
- Experience working with website Content Management Systems like WordPress
- Familiarity with CRM databases such as Raiser’s Edge, EveryAction, SalesForce, etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and G Suite (Google Apps)
- Experience using social media as an outreach tool;
- Solid interpersonal skills;
- Ability to organize, coordinate and manage diverse activities and deadlines;
- Experience in campaigning, organizing or advocacy preferred;
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings
- Dedication to PEC’s mission of smart growth, conservation, and restoration
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required — this position requires travel to locations and events throughout PEC’s 9-county region.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
With full-time employment, in addition to your salary, you will be eligible to participate in health, disability, term life insurance benefits and a 403 (b) employee pension plan. Upon employment, you will be entitled to paid holidays and will begin accruing personal leave as designated in the PEC Employee Handbook.