Communications ManagerThe Communications Manager oversees and executes all forms of communications for the organization including publications, earned and social media, and overall organizational branding, marketing material development and website. Through these activities s/he aims to convey PRKN’s brand, promote PRKN’s activities and initiatives, and build credibility, influence, partnerships and resources. The Communications Manager reports to the organization’s Vice-President of External Relations.
The position encompasses developing and carrying out a strategic communications plan, as well as maintenance of day-to-day communications. The Manager will play a leadership role in unifying and integrating PRKN’s diverse messages and programs, and will coordinate PRKN staff to ensure a cohesive brand identity across all communicationsmaterials and channels.
SPECIFIC DUTIES:• Create, implement and manage an organizational strategic communications (including events) plan and advocacy campaigns.
• Manage and oversee the newsletter process including: setting up planning meetings and creating schedules of work; coordinating authors and contributors; managing design, printing, and distribution firms; coordinating staff time; editing newsletter content and design; ensuring leadership review of plan and key articles, writing articles, and securing photography.
• Create a social media strategy, and carry it out by maintaining and producing content on PRKN’s social media platforms to build an online community, including existing presence on Twitter, Facebook, and
Instagram, and determine how to activate them to support the organization and to move our advocacy campaigns. Execute targeted goals for growth on all platforms.
• Pro-actively maintain and update PRKNs website, and coordinate PRKN staff on updating specific content.
• Write, publish, and promote consistent blog posts.
• Create and maintain PRKN monthly E-News and Action Alerts.
• Build and maintain photo archives and a storybank.
• Write and distribute press releases, and develop and steward relationships with key press contacts. Work with media to gain positive coverage of our work and events. Monitor media and participate in rapid response when necessary.
• Create and carry out an annual strategy for earned media, including media partners for events, and key press agents who can keep our advocacy campaigns in the public eye.
• Coordinate efforts to implement PRKN’s brand.
• Create and assist with PRKN presentations and PowerPoints as needed.
• Draft, edit and distribute campaign materials, press releases, letters to the editor, letters to elected officials, feature articles and Op-Eds.
• Work with program staff to activities and tools to benefit and move their campaigns and build organizational support.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS• 3-5 years communication experience in a non-profit setting. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
• Excellent organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines with a positive attitude, flexibility and attention to detail.
• Superb written and verbal communications skills, including experience with writing and editing non-technical publications.
• Experience working with program staff to build and execute communications strategies that build and support their top advocacy campaigns.
• Experience with communications contractor selection and oversight, website development, and/or strategic communications.
• Experience with design programs, preferably including Adobe Creative Suite.
• Fluency with a variety of social media, Microsoft Office, and WordPress or other HTML-based web design and maintenance applications.
• Passion for clean water, environmental justice and conservation in general and PRKN’s mission in particular.
• Demonstrated success in working as a member of a team and developing effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and the public. Strong work ethic.
• Familiarity with Google Ad Words & Google Analytics.
• Ideally, candidate will have creative abilities in design and or video production/editing.
Salary $55,000-60,000 plus Benefits package
Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample in a single PDF to email@example.com with “Communications Manager” on subject line.
PRKN provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, gender or gender identity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Potomac Riverkeeper Network complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.