The political voice for Pennsylvania’s environment, Conservation Voters of PA (CVPA) works to pass sound conservation policies, promotes pro-environment candidates for office, and holds elected officials accountable for the decisions they make. CVPA is partnered with PennFuture, which is protecting our air, water and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
The Chester County Coordinator is primarily responsible for building a sustainable volunteer advocacy program and managing local partnerships and coalitions in Chester County. The Coordinator will report to the Field Director and will serve as the principle point of contact for local candidates, activists, volunteers, donors, and elected officials. The Coordinator’s work will range from endorsing and electing environmental champions, to driving local policy changes, to managing local coalitions and partnerships, to recruiting and training citizen volunteer environmental advocates.
• Manage regional volunteer recruitment and engagement to advance policy goals.
• Represent CVPA and PennFuture with local environmental and activist groups.
• Identify ways to use CVPA and PennFuture resources to support the work of local groups.
• Utilize those relationships to expand CVPA and PennFuture’s visibility in the region, to build political power, and to win environmental fights, etc.
• Implement grassroots tactics to engage prospective volunteers and help to transition them to become volunteer leaders
• Mobilize and train citizen advocates in key legislative districts.
• Become a leader in local coalitions and begin new coalitions and advocacy groups as necessary.
• Build relationships with local candidates and elected officials in Chester County from municipal to state legislative positions.
• Identify races and potential appointments in which an endorsement or political advocacy work could make a positive environmental impact.
• Manage political activities (canvass operations, mail, digital) related to winning campaigns in Chester County at any level of elected office.
• Develop working knowledge of local township and county level environmental policy issues.
• Cultivate experts in policy issues to supplement that knowledge.
• Develop an ongoing list of policy priorities to use in questionnaires and for accountability work.
• Build relationships with local reporters and influencers.
• Work with digital staff to use email lists and social media tools in Chester County.
• Monitor and update local social presence – engage with local groups, activists and candidates.
• Work with Field Director and other Senior Staff to develop action alerts and press releases as needed based on issues related to Chester County.
• Work with the Field Director to create and follow a budget and fundraising plan to support advocacy in Chester County.
• Identify top-tier donors to introduce to appropriate staff.
The following skills are required for the successful applicant:
• 2 – 5 years of relevant professional experience in political campaigns, grassroots organizing, or advocacy/issue campaign work
• Collaborative spirit. Must be a personable, dependable team player.
• Strong commitment to the missions of CVPA and PennFuture.
The following skills and experience are preferred for the successful applicant:
• Strong understanding of Chester County local politics and environmental issues.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent personal organizational and time management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit volunteer activists and mobilize public support
• Experience with environmental issues and/or political campaigns.
• Experience with fundraising.
Compensation: $40,000-45,000 depending on qualifications
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position based in Chester County. Evening and weekend hours are required, along with significant travel throughout the county and bi-weekly travel into Philadelphia. Applicants must have a car and a valid driver’s license.