PennFuture is leading the transition to a clean energy economy in Pennsylvania and beyond. We are protecting our air, water, and land, and empowering citizens to build sustainable communities for future generations.
Job Description: Campaign Manager, Watershed Advocacy (Harrisburg, PA)
PennFuture seeks a Campaign Manager to lead high impact campaigns around water issues affecting Pennsylvania’s environment and communities in the Susquehanna River watershed. The Campaign Manager will develop and lead bold, sophisticated, and integrated campaigns that generate citizen action to create and improve policies that protect Pennsylvania’s local waters and public health. The Campaign Manager will be responsible for communicating watershed issues to PennFuture constituents, the general public, and decision makers. He or she will also interpret the science for public consumption, advocate for effective watershed policies, and work with PennFuture’s legal staff to advance legal action, when appropriate.
Our most urgent campaign need is in the Susquehanna watershed where the environmental issues are complex, lawmakers and most agricultural producers are entrenched, scientists and bureaucrats struggle over how to address rapid declines in the river’s biodiversity and quality, and resources are scarce. The state has issued a reboot of its plan to comply with its obligations under the Chesapeake Bay TMDL. The Campaign Manager will be responsible for oversight, scrutiny, and support of the plan.
• Develop and lead advocacy campaigns to advance PennFuture’s work in the Susquehanna and Potomac (Chesapeake Bay drainage) watersheds;
• Leverage PennFuture’s outreach, policy, communications/media, and legal staff and expertise to support implementation of cohesive, integrated campaigns;
• Lead and rally PennFuture’s partners to support implementation of campaigns;
• Lead the Choose Clean Water Coalition in Pennsylvania by convening partners to work on water issues;
• Develop and implement a grassroots advocacy strategy for water campaigns and mobilize citizen advocates in key state and federal legislative districts;
• In coordination with the director of policy, plan and execute special events for General Assembly members and key Administration officials;
• Interpret complex scientific and policy information for consumption by target audiences through media work and writing fact sheets, reports, white/briefing papers, testimony and other strategic communications;
• Provide guidance to PennFuture’s work in the Delaware, Great Lakes, and Ohio watersheds as appropriate;
• Research private and public funding sources and write proposals;
• Increase the number of grassroots, grasstops, and partners willing to participate in campaigns;
• Craft campaign e-mails, action alerts, website content, blog and social media posts; draft, edit, and submit letters to the editor and other opinion pieces;
• Build support for local, state, and federal legislative priorities; occasional lobbying of public officials and government agencies;
• Community outreach, event tabling, public speaking; perform other project and administrative duties as directed.
-Proven success in campaign development, implementation, and leadership.
-Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
-Excellent social media skills.
-Enthusiasm for PennFuture, its mission, and its brand.
-Detail oriented and highly organized.
-Familiarity with non-profit organizations is preferred though not required.
Education and experience:
-Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred.
-5+ years in campaign management or policy work.
-Deep understanding of environmental and conservation -policies, issues, and science.
-Understanding of regional environmental and conservation landscape.
Reporting and Location :
The position is based in Harrisburg, PA. This position reports to the Director of Outreach.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to the Director of Outreach at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Campaign Manager, Watershed Advocacy” in the subject line. The application deadline is February 21, 2018.