Waterkeepers Chesapeake seeks an experienced Campaign & Communications Manager. If you are looking for meaningful involvement in the environmental community that will broaden and deepen your skills and your understanding of key issues, winning strategies and the dynamics of social change, then this position is for you! Whether writing blog and social media posts, building meaningful partnerships, or managing a groundbreaking new campaign, you’ll have the gratification of being “part of the solution” for our state and our future.
The Campaign & Communications Manager will report to the Executive Director to implement Fair Farms, a new, multi-year public education and communications campaign spearheaded by Waterkeepers Chesapeake and scheduled to launch later this year. S/he will help to manage other organizational campaigns as well, and coordinate communications for the organization. We seek a well-rounded campaign generalist with a committed passion for environmental advocacy and who is capable of grassroots organizing, managing online social networks, building and maintaining partnerships, and developing a diverse array of communications materials.
This position will take the lead in implementing and managing the Fair Farms campaign—a movement of Marylanders of all stripes working together for a new food system — one that is fair to farmers, invests in homegrown, healthy food, and restores our waterways instead of polluting them. This campaign is focused on using innovative storytelling and online engagement to support policy objectives that will reduce agricultural pollution. The Campaign and Communications Manager will also help manage and coordinate other campaigns such as our Polluted Runoff Initiative, Clean Water & Clean Energy, and Clean Water Defense.
Fair Farms Campaign Management
- As a member of the core campaign team, provide critical feedback and ideas on campaign strategies and help manage our relationship with campaign consultants, keeping their work on track
- Develop new partnerships with farmers, businesses, and nonprofit organizations, manage their involvement with the campaign, and ensure engagement opportunities
- Identify key targets for power-building and work with Waterkeepers Chesapeake member groups to build grassroots support in their local communities for policies that reduce agricultural pollution and increase accountability and transparency
- Manage reports, budget and payments for Fair Farms Campaign
- Help manage website and social media for the campaign (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blog, email)
- Organize earned media strategies, including press conferences, editorial board meetings, Op-Ed pieces, rallies, Letters to the Editor, etc.
- Manage the production, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials, such as e-newsletters, take action alerts, factsheets, and online communication
- Maintain and update website to ensure all information is current, consistent, and coordinated with member organizations
- Coordinate and execute organization-specific social media strategies, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Coordinate and execute blog strategy with Executive Director and member organizations
Act as executive editor of all brand communications to ensure alignment with messaging strategies
- Build and manage an email database and organizational email calendar
Assist in drafting grant proposals and reports
- Recruit and manage interns; coordinate work with contractors.
- 4+ years of grassroots organizing, communications and/or campaign experience, preferably on environmental campaigns
- Strong writing skills and proven ability to craft compelling communications materials, social media and e-mail actions.
- Successful experience building and managing coalitions and engaging grassroots activists to create change.
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills including ability to work with individuals and organizations from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully working with the media and organizing successful media events.
- Experience managing an organization’s social media presence. Ideal if the candidate has demonstrated experience transitioning activists from online to offline support.
- Positive attitude, collaborative spirit, sense of humor.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage competing, time‐sensitive priorities
Knowledge of Joomla, WordPress, Action Network, and InDesign & PhotoShop are a plus.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake is a coalition of nineteen independent Waterkeeper programs working to make the waters of the Chesapeake and Coastal Bays swimmable and fishable. We amplify the voices of each Waterkeeper and mobilize our organizations to fight pollution and champion clean water. For more information, please visit www.waterkeeperschesapeake.org .
The position is located at our shared office space in Takoma Park, MD, with some flexibility of telecommuting. A car will be necessary for meetings throughout the Chesapeake Bay region. Reliable at-home Internet access is necessary. Will require some evening and weekend hours.
Competitive salary based on experience. Health insurance benefits offered.
Waterkeepers Chesapeake is an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, women, persons with disabilities, and LGBT persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a resume, cover letter detailing your interest in this position, writing samples (preferably from a previous campaign, such as e-mail action alerts, op-eds, social media content, press releases, or other media content) to info(at)waterkeeperschesapeake.org.
The position is available immediately. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.