The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy has an internship opportunity available within the Land Stewardship Department at its Northwest Regional Office, located at 1140 Liberty Street, Suite 100, Franklin, PA 16323. This internship requires a student currently enrolled in an institution of higher education pursuing his/her bachelor’s degree in the environmental field. This is a 12-week internship, beginning on or around May 15, 2017. The successful candidate will typically report to work three days per week for the duration of this internship.
Upon completion of the internship, the student will have a solid understanding of a land trusts responsibilities in Stewardship of fee-simple and easement properties.
Skills to be learned:• ESRI ArcGIS Geographic Information System (GIS)
• Geographic Position System (GPS)
• Orienteering using a map and compass
• Land management and planning
• Tenant relations
• Safe use and care of power equipment
• Professional written and verbal communication
The intern will work with the Land Stewardship Coordinator to:
• Develop and execute a plan to clean up farm dumpsites on newly acquired properties;
• Capture photographs and GPS points to create and update maps using GIS software;
• Use a GPS, map and compass to identify and mark property boundaries;
• Use hand tools and power equipment to maintain trails and visitor parking areas;
• Contact easement landowners to schedule annual visits;
• Coordinate with tenants of leased properties and contractors as part our comprehensive leased property maintenance program;
• Improve and standardize file structure and documents in the file system; and
• Perform annual monitoring visits of fee-simple properties and complete reports documenting observations.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and a copy of your current college transcripts. Include in your cover letter your career goals and how this internship opportunity would help you achieve those goals.
Candidates must have their own reliable transportation and be able to report to Meadville, PA or Franklin, PA on work days.
Applications materials must be submitted by 3 PM on March 17, 2017.
For more information or to apply, contact:
Land Stewardship Coordinator